Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you buy your mac equipment?

Options
  • 13-05-2003 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭

OK, since the mac trick of the day sticky is dead as copeland, i thought it was high time for a new one...

So ta-da!

Its been a while since i bought anything for my mac so im going to look up urls and phone numbers, but feel free to post your usual places.

PS - any obvious advertising will be stomped on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I get mine from my mate who works in Bigbearsound. It's the one inside windmill lane recording studios.

http://www.bigbearsound.com/

It's more for high end audio/video as opposed to home use mac stuff however. But I know the guys in there and they are cool and willing to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Friend of a workmate runs a company called Bondi Group. That's where we get our Mac stuff in the office. The guy knows his stuff!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Ordered some items from the Apple Store last week and they were delivered by:

http://www.mactivate.ie

BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Its been a while since i bought anything for my mac so im going to look up urls and phone numbers, but feel free to post your usual places.

Depends what you're looking for (obviously).

I source most of my stuff from the US and take my chances with VAT - if the stuff gets shipped by reular post, you're generally OK, if it ships via FedEx or other couriers, you'll get hit for VAT. Suppliers will generally cooperate & ship via regular (insured) post/

Companies I've dealt favourably with:

http://www.mcetech.com/

http://www.sfbags.com/

http://www.macsales.com/

Regards,

Hugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 curly30

There is a company called www.typetec.ie
    I worked for them, they are reliable and they do offer a bench and support service:ninja:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭DannyD

Direct from the horses mouth , the applestore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 CrazyHarry

The Apple Refurb store often has very good deals (up to 45% reductions). Unfortunately they're only open Wednesdays at 10am and you have to be quick!

http://promo.euro.apple.com/promo/refurb/uk/

HTH,

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭TheWolf

There is a company called www.typetec.ie

When was this curly? How long ago did you leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

dare i say it? www.compustore.ie

also, complete list...

Clickey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

I've ordered two things from the Apple Ireland online store, and it's a joke.

I ordered an airport card. My CC was charged, and 10 days later it hadn't arrived. I ring up and ask what's going on and am told that it hasn't left the Netherlands yet. I ring up 2 days later and complain again. They agree to courier it out to me. Two months later, the original airport card arrives.

I ordered a case for my ibook 3 weeks ago. Again, it doesn't arrive within the given 10 days. I ring up, and they agree to courier it out.

When you look at all of this, and the fact that everything is maybe 5% cheaper from their UK store (which I assume is supplied by the same place in the Netherlands), you must begin to wonder how great an option it really is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 CrazyHarry

SSh,

I have to say, I have bought loads of stuff from the Apple Store and have had no problems with any orders from them.

You were probably just unlucky (either that or I have been consistently lucky!)

Cheers,

CH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I doubt theres anything you can buy for a Mac in Ireland that isn't cheaper or better spec in the UK or the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    I doubt theres anything you can buy for a Mac in Ireland that isn't cheaper or better spec in the UK or the US.

Why stop at Mac? Everything is more expensive here than in the UK or US. I'm still trying to remember why I live here...

Oh yeah, it's the beautiful weather, the welcoming people and the honest government.

Still, you wouldn't catch me living in Engerland or Anywheresville in middle America. The coasts are just about bearable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by hughchal
    Why stop at Mac? Everything is more expensive here than in the UK or US. I'm still trying to remember why I live here...

Primarily because its the "MAC" forum not the "its greener over there" forum ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭beans

Just found these guys - great for products, specs, the whole shebang

We Love Macs

for example, a memory DIMM that The Mac Store quoted me up to 260€ for will set you back 45€ here - i'm yet to use them, but there's a USB card ordered so if the service lets me down i'll post it here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭David Stewart

I've ordered several times from the Applestore. My most recent purchase was a Brenthaven carry bag for my Powerbook. It arrived promptly. My experience with my Powerbook however was not so good. In fairness, however, I was leasing through AIB Finance and Leasing and there was some mix up with cheques and delivery addresses and so on. However, everything worked out in the end.
    I've also bought from the Compustore in Kildare Street (Dublin) and most recently a copy of Diskwarrior from the O2 Experience in Grafton Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Digi_Tilmitt

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭deecom

http://www.welovemacs.com/
    Is a great site ordered airport bits and some memory. Arrived within the week and at a third of the price apple store charge. Very pleased!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭beans

Yep, welovemacs.com is certainly the way forward alright

I was trying to edit my previous post, but it's timed out - so to update, the item arrived after 20 days and all's working as it should be :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭lilo moo

ah the good ol' usa... ah the good ol' apple store... (the one at the grove in l.a if we're being precise) it's all so magical and silver and white with the giant apple on the front... and all the apple boys and girls (but usually boys) running around in their blue tshirts with their little name tags... and all the accessories...and all the lovely powerbooks...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

dare i say it? www.compustore.ie

Compustore on st. stephens green couldn't find its arse with both hands. It is the worst store in ireland for customer service. Sorry for not contributing to this thread, but i have so many bad experiences with that place.

Beyond2000 on chatnam street (off grafton street) even though they dont sell macs have fantastic customer service.

Cheers

fintan

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Got replacement DVD/CDRW and network cards for G3 and G4 powerbooks from www.powerbookmedic.com (in Alabama, US)

Price extremely competitive- but delivery was by surface mail and took almost 5 weeks. GLS (who have since been superceded by DHL with the contract for USPS carriage) insisted on charging me excise duty and VAT on the parts- when I complained to C&E in Nenagh they asked for proof that the original product was purchased in Ireland and/or that the defective product had been sent to the US for replacement- upshot a rather nice rebate cheque in the post during the week.

You have to be willing to dismantle your iBook/Powerbook yourself (they will give you the torque tools etc that you need)- and tbh your powerbook is like lego (just don't loose any of the screws and use antistatic precautions.

www.powerbookmedic.com

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

fintan wrote:
    Compustore on st. stephens green couldn't find its arse with both hands. It is the worst store in ireland for customer service. Sorry for not contributing to this thread, but i have so many bad experiences with that place.

Beyond2000 on chatnam street (off grafton street) even though they dont sell macs have fantastic customer service.

Cheers

fintan

If I am wrong, you can ripe my arms off and beat me around the head with the sloppy ends, but at the time you posted, compustore were gone.

I'm looking to buy Reason and Logic Express, I was thinking of tryign Big bear, has anyone any other suggestions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭soph

Check out http://www.galmac.com/ it where i bought my mac from, fairly reliable but tooook aaaaaaaages for it to arrive

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Alqua

I was just going to suggest GalMac! They guys there are really helpful, and they'll order in anything under the sun for you.
    I go either there, or the Apple store online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 WarmUp

I get all my bits off a mate, has a nice deal going with M-Audio and apple.
    I know this might not be the right forum but I know one of uz will have the answer. Iv been shadowed by windows most of my life, got my new G4 Powerbook last month and yes they are better.. ';0) Q: I have a lot of trouble opening email attc. and certan mpeg, etc. It seems to be really hit and miss when it comes to what I can download and what I can view.. It's just getting to be a bit gay at this stage.. Any help or input would be great..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Not much good for someone in Dublin i guess, but down the country the best choices are CompuB in Limerick and Ark Enterprises in Cork (great for anything audio too).

Altho on average CompuB tend to be a little cheaper than the apple store online [even tho compuB are an apple store - odd]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭SixShot

Also Spectra Photo in Dundrum & Grafton Street do apple Stuff & there there first Dedacated Apple Centre In Dublin

www.spectra.ie

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

SixShot wrote:
    Also Spectra Photo in Dundrum & Grafton Street do apple Stuff & there there first Dedacated Apple Centre In Dublin

www.spectra.ie

First of all- while Spectra Photo do carry some Macintosh equipment and accessories- their selection is far from definitive. The o2 store on Grafton Street has a far superior selection.

Secondly- speaking from experience of having ordered products from them, they do not have a direct contract with Macintosh- its with Computers 2000 in the UK. It took them a little over 3 months to get me an airport extreme card (by which time I had gotten one in the Mac store in London and cancelled my order with them).

Further- while they may the first dedicated Apple Centre in Dublin, since the Apple Centre on Kildare Street closed in April, they are NOT the first dedicated centre in Dublin. Compustore were the first company in Ireland to be certified as a Macintosh Apple Centre, and while the company is in liquidation, they still hold that certification. They have held that certification since 1988.

Further- there is a sole person with a knowledge of Macintosh products and operating systems in the Grafton Street Branch- he is perched in a small room at the back of the Spectra Photo shop. While they may call themselves a "dedicated apple centre" - they dedicate less than 20% of their shop floor space to Macintosh (unless the use of a Mac to print your digital photos for the shop is included, in which case it increases a little. They have over 4 time more space dedicated to camera memory cards than they do to IPODs.....

I hate Spectra Photo with a passion- I am still pissed as hell at them over the airport card whose delivery date kept creeping by two days. I was popping into them twice a week and on each occasion being told it would be in the next delivery to the shop- or that someone in headoffice in Killorglin had mistakenly delivered it to the wrong shop.

Shower of ****ing amuteurs....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Shadow_2k5

smccarrick wrote:
    First of all- while Spectra Photo do carry some Macintosh equipment and accessories- their selection is far from definitive. The o2 store on Grafton Street has a far superior selection.

Secondly- speaking from experience of having ordered products from them, they do not have a direct contract with Macintosh- its with Computers 2000 in the UK. It took them a little over 3 months to get me an airport extreme card (by which time I had gotten one in the Mac store in London and cancelled my order with them).

Further- while they may the first dedicated Apple Centre in Dublin, since the Apple Centre on Kildare Street closed in April, they are NOT the first dedicated centre in Dublin. Compustore were the first company in Ireland to be certified as a Macintosh Apple Centre, and while the company is in liquidation, they still hold that certification. They have held that certification since 1988.

Further- there is a sole person with a knowledge of Macintosh products and operating systems in the Grafton Street Branch- he is perched in a small room at the back of the Spectra Photo shop. While they may call themselves a "dedicated apple centre" - they dedicate less than 20% of their shop floor space to Macintosh (unless the use of a Mac to print your digital photos for the shop is included, in which case it increases a little. They have over 4 time more space dedicated to camera memory cards than they do to IPODs.....

I hate Spectra Photo with a passion- I am still pissed as hell at them over the airport card whose delivery date kept creeping by two days. I was popping into them twice a week and on each occasion being told it would be in the next delivery to the shop- or that someone in headoffice in Killorglin had mistakenly delivered it to the wrong shop.

Shower of ****ing amuteurs....

I agree Spectra are Pritty ****e at getting stock dedacated Apple Store my well U know what I mean

Advertisement