Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Quick queries/How do I do... ?

• 17-07-2007 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if there are any p2pTV apps for Mac?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Mac noobs would be a good one. I've had my Macbook since november but I'm still not sure what most things do. For instance I downloaded quicksilver but have no clue what it's supposed to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

This is a brillinat thread lads. Thanks for all the brilliant tips. One thing that has bothered me since getting my Mac and one of the very few things I must add. I find myself constantly readjusting the size of some of the windows. An example of this is the applications window. It always goes back to the smaller size. And is there a button to press to Maximize the window as you would do in Wondows. I see the green button on top but that does not seem to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Narcissus

One thing that i'm curious about is the normal temperature that my macbook should be running at.

According to istat pro i'm normally in the mid 50's whilst just doing light stuff like browsing the web. Is this normal?

One other thing is the memory use. I've been running opera for about 2 hours and it's using about 200 megs of ram. Is that normal for opera?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

there's no maximize per sé.. it maximizes to get all you need on screen, so you don't get any horizontal scroll bars.

moe

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Apapaia wrote:
    One thing that i'm curious about is the normal temperature that my macbook should be running at.

According to istat pro i'm normally in the mid 50's whilst just doing light stuff like browsing the web. Is this normal?

One other thing is the memory use. I've been running opera for about 2 hours and it's using about 200 megs of ram. Is that normal for opera?

Yeah that's all normal. Regarding memory usage, I use Camino and at the moment it's using 259MB of RAM. Although it's been a few days since I restarted it. But OSX generally tries to make use of any free RAM.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if it's possible to resize images in opera? either automatically or using some command/plug in?

Also, something that I just discovered about opera that kinda bothers me, I'm wondering if i'm alone in having this problem. When I click a link/image/whatever and a page starts loading, if I press a button on the menu bar, bookmarks, tools, help etc. the page stops loading until I go back into the window and out of the menu bar. Not a big problem, i'm just curious if anyone else has experienced it?

Thanks if you can help

Are there any good mac diagnostic tools? or virus scan programs available?

What about MacScan ?

I want to use one because I just recently turned on the firewall after using my new macbook for a few weeks. Silly me :o

edit: after reading some comments on macupdate.com i went with clamxav instead. Simple to use and free. Nothing found as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Sam Radford

There aren't any Mac viruses in the wild so AV software is of no use because it doesn't know what to look for. :)

At best it will look for Windoze viruses (which obviously don't do anything in MacOSX).

Diagnostic tools:
    TexhTool Pro
    DiskWarrior
    ProSoft (various tools).

Advertisement